Monday, June 15, 2020

Called For

Every one of the exercise and dance studios where I have spent my time and money training aerials has issued a statement in support of black lives matter. My college administration, many of the online stores where I shop, Blues on the Green in Austin, all made well crafted essays about the terrible brutality we continue to witness against black people and that meant I didn't have to write. I was wrong.

I don't know any black people. There you have it. I can send money to The Movement for Black Lives, but I cannot prepare a meal for a black friend traumatized by seeing George Floyd murdered by police. I can attend a protest, but I cannot deepen my relationship with a friend by listening to them talk about the pain of experiencing racism.

The point is that I do not personally experience racism.  Black people have no choice.







No comments:

Post a Comment