Saturday, October 1, 2022

Waddle

 



A sliding glass door and a screen door open onto an old, long planked deck and several steps takes one to the garage door. If its raining, the garage door opener allows a driver to avoid raindrops until the dash into the house and kitchen. The washer and dryer and automobile sit side by side, taking up most of the room.  One day after doing load switching and maybe a little gardening out front, I came through the garage door to see I had left the sliding doors way open. Three or four cats stroll through the back yard regularly and I carefully checked the house for intruders as one would have had ample time to enter. Several days later, sitting on the couch talking to my brother on the phone, movement from the kitchen to the doors caught my eye. A foot long snake was weaving toward the closed screen door. Saying nothing - one doesn't try to bring new concepts to my brother on the phone - I quietly went to open the screen door and saw a foot long lizard - six inches body, six inches tail. Let me take a moment to say that I would never exaggerate the size of a lizard just for the impact in a tale - perhaps you have doubts. Suffice to say my heart pounded and I prayed. The lizard froze with the sound of the screen door sliding open. I thought to get behind it to encourage exit, however, only managed to freak it out and it returned to the kitchen and disappeared.  Coming in from shopping the next day, I saw it undulate under the stove. What does it find to eat? Will it die under the stove? I started leaving the door open when the deck was sunny and warm, but never saw it approach the door. I did see a small, small lizard attempt to enter the house from the deck looking like a juvenile looking for its mother. A big, fat fly found it's way in and disappeared into the kitchen never to be heard from again.

So there you have it, a purgatory of sorts. Sitting on the deck, I see little lizards scooting around here.

Lizard habitat



There are plenty of spiders and bugs of all sorts. Maybe I'll move the stove out.






No comments:

Post a Comment